I grew up on a family-run dairy farm in Wisconsin. I went to elementary school in the nearest town 5 miles down the road which currently boasts 300 residents. Middle school and high school were a 12-milebus ride to Reedsburg–a typical small town of some 9,000 residents. College took me to LaCrosse, WI which with its 100,000 area residents dwarfed anything I’d previously seen. My last major move came in 2005 when I loaded my worldly belongings into my Honda Accord and drove myself to Salt Lake City, Utah for what started as a 4-month internship and has turned into my new home.
I met my husband Jason in Salt Lake City in 2005 and we were married in 2009. We share our home with three young sons born in 2012, 2014 and 2016, and an orange tabby cat named Kiki, who happens to be polydactyl, meaning she has extra toes. We enjoy gardening and home improvement projects. In my spare time I like to make handmade cards, and Jason is an avid hiker and caver.
Interesting tidbits about me:
- I’ve traveled through much of the US but have yet to leave the country
- I had quite a few odd jobs in my younger days including feeding calves, picking strawberries, cleaning a hair salon, working in a factory that makes industrial truck seats, cleaning bar towels and floor mats, working in a restaurant, personal training, and working at a small-town athletic club
- I met my husband, mostly by chance, online
- I tell people ending up in Utah was a complete accident
- I played piano growing up, and can sing…thought I’m sadly out of practice at both
- I enjoy cooking, baking, housework, and gardening
- My house is filled with plants; in the spring, I have the compulsion to dig in the dirt
This website started as a series of e-mails I sent home when I moved to Utah in 2005 as a way to keep in touch with family and friends. It expanded to a monthly newsletter when we got married and I joined in writing in my husband’s family blog (headed up monthly by his grandmother). It expanded yet again when I decided I wanted to share some of my arts and crafts projects with friends, and yet again when we began welcoming children into our family.
Thanks for stopping by and seeing what’s been going on “Around Here Lately”.